Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Gospel of James Scott Bullard


James Scott Bullard sings like he’s trying to save his own life.
He plays like he's trying to put out a fire on his guitar.
There’s more soul in his thin-framed body than most of us will ever have.


I have honestly seen full on gospel concerts where I didn’t feel or see this much soul.

I’m not a religious man per say and even though he’s singing songs mostly about sin and leaving the salvation as a side note, it’s like the mighty finger of God has pointed to him and said: “This one is special.”

My wife said it best: "There’s something moving through him, and he’s no longer in control."

It reminds me of the scene in Oliver Stone’s “The Doors” where Jim Morrison (Val Kilmer) is onstage singing and dancing, but the ghost of some old Indian Shaman is dancing beside him, almost carrying him through the performance.”

In truth, it’s like watching a man on fire.
And when confronted with this statement Bullard smirks and simply says: “I am.”
All I could do was smile and walk away like a teeny-bopper who had just met a Jonas Brother, he didn’t know who I was, or that I was eventually going to publish this review and I doubt he even cared.

I witnessed a bit of prophet, storyteller and heartworn anti-hero all wrapped into one.
I get the feeling that the first people who saw Hank Williams, Elvis, or Mick Jagger felt this same way.

I can honestly say that after seeing Bullard’s show, I left as a devout believer.
Godspeed to you Mr. Bullard…When the rest of the music world catches onto the fire I’ve witnessed (and trust me, it won’t be long) you’ll go down in history as the match!



-Freddie “King Rat” Weisman
‘Lightning in a Bottle Publishing’

No comments:

Post a Comment